Do you dread taking those first steps in the morning? Does that sharp pain in your feet return after you sit or stand for an extended period of time? You could have plantar fasciitis. If so, it is important to call our office right away to have one of our doctors evaluate your feet. If left untreated, it can alter the way you walk and lead to knee, hip, or back pain.
Plantar fasciitis is inflammation or irritation of the tough band of tissue that connects your heel bone to your toes. A stabbing pain on the bottom of your foot bear your heel is usually the first symptom but the pain can start as a dull ache and progress to a sharp pain over time. You may experience pain when stretching your foot or applying pressure to the arch.
Who gets Plantar Fasciitis? Many athletes who are frequent runners can experience this condition as well as those with tight calf muscles, flat feet, or high arches. Other factors that can contribute to this condition include being overweight, over 40, or standing for prolonged periods.
How do I treat Plantar Fasciitis? Many treatment options include:
- See your chiropractor to be diagnosed and treated for Plantar Fasciitis.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen can give your sore feet some short-term relief. It is important to talk with your doctor when taking any medication as NSAIDs can lead to stomach or kidney damage.
- Ice the bottom of your feet for up to 20 minutes 3 or 4 times per day.
- Wear your shoes! Always keep those feet supported. It is important to wear shoes even in the house. Going barefoot or wearing slippers can make your plantar fasciitis worse. Get a new pair of running shoes with good arch support.
- Exercises that stretch your feet specifically the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon can give some relief to those sore feet. Exercises that strengthen your lower leg muscles can stabilize your ankle and heel.
- Custom orthotics are a must with Plantar Fasciitis. Papillion Chiropractic can take a foam cast of your feet and have custom orthotics made specifically for your feet.
Papillion Chiropractic | Best Chiropractor in the area
At Papillion Chiropractic our approach is simple. We believe that health is among our most valuable possessions. And while we generally meet people after they’ve lost their health, our commitment is to offer you hope and more importantly, a plan. Drs. Kurt and Tonya Boeckenhauer can begin the process of restoring your spinal health and body mechanics. Contact us!